Computers and Society
The line of Computer Science and Society aims to train staff with solid professional knowledge, able to:
- Analyze, propose solutions and manage the process of defining and adoption of information and communication technologies (ICTs) in work and learning environments;
- To monitor and evaluate these processes, adding the economic and social dimensions;
- Make interdisciplinary research work, associated with education in order to build technical knowledge and integrated socio-politically.
Homepage kept the line: under construction.
Main Research Themes
Science and Technology Studies: a socio-technical approach
The main objective is to recognize, treat and understand the scientific and technological artifacts as socio-technical constructions aimed at:
- "deconstruct" the hegemonic and popularized version that presents the science and technology as a progressive sequence of "discoveries" of a world "nation";
- Next the theory and the practice of the Science and Technology Studies (Science Studies) seeking the reconstruction of localized knowledge, preferably specifically on Brazilian themes, but into the dynamic internationalized of knowledge societies.
Analysis of the process of adoption of new technologies
It analyzes the impact of the introduction of technological and organizational innovations in primary, secondary and tertiary sectors. In particular, studies are being conducted focusing on the following topics:
- Business strategies for the introduction of new technologies, identifying emerging productive models in the current context of globalization and the impact the organization of work;
- The relationship between information and communication technologies (networks, Internet, EDI) and the spread of productive decentralization (outsourcing, downsizing, outsourcing, re-engineering, data centers, teleworking, telecommuting) and flexible work and relationships work;
- Human Resources Policies, Quality Programs, Participatory Programs and Group Work;
- Changes in occupational profiles and emergence of new content and skills;
- engagement process Analysis of workers in modernization projects.
The relationship between training, qualification and innovation in companies
The work in this area are focused on the analysis of the relationship between the structures of national systems of higher education and technical and innovation processes in companies. The following aspects are focused:
- Study of national higher and technical education system, including universities, technical training centers, research centers, technical institutes, etc., trying to identify as it is built the professionalism of those responsible for innovation processes within companies;
- Study of curricula career analyzing to what extent they contribute to the stimulation of creative and entrepreneurial activity;
- Review the organization of innovation activities in enterprises, forms of recruitment of professionals and use their knowledge and their skills obtained in higher and technical education.
Information Technology in the agricultural sector
The goal is to analyze the problems and computerization process characteristics in sectors related to agricultural activity. In order to illustrate the potential of these studies follows a brief description of the work done in recent years:
- Some consequences of computerization of the decision process for the location of grain warehouses in a cooperative in the state of Paraná;
- Informatics process in the dairy cattle - the beginning of a process;
- Hardware in modernization of coffee agribusiness system in the state of Minas Gerais;
- Computerisation of agricultural education the distance in the state of Minas Gerais.
- Luiz Henrique Cukierman , D.Sc., 2001 (Responsible)